1) Fill a bowl, or the sink, with cold water. Ice water is best, but cold water will work. Alternatively, use an ice pack.
2) Bend at the waist and submerge your face in the water for AT LEAST 30 seconds.
*NOTE: If you have a heart condition or are taking a beta-blocker for high blood pressure, consult with a health care provider before trying this skill.
Engage in intense exercise for 5 to 15 minutes. Jumping jacks are great if you're in a confined space. Or, just follow this video.
*Intense exercise will increase heart rate. Consult your health care provider before using these skills if you have a heart or medical condition, a lowered base heart rate due to medications, take a beta-blocker, are allergic to cold, or have an eating disorder.
1) The goal is to exhale longer than you inhale. For example, inhaling for a count of 4, exhaling for a count of 6.
2) Set a 2-minute timer on your phone.
3) Start the timer and inhale deeply into your belly and then exhale more slowly.
1) Start at either the very top of your body, like your forehead, or at the bottom, with your toes. Tighten up your muscles group by group, first tensing the muscles as hard as you can and then releasing.
2) As you release, silently say the word “relax,” and let go of the tension.
3) Practice this exercise for a few minutes or up to 45 minutes.