In the fast-paced landscape of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), influential voices have emerged, shaping and revolutionizing the way we understand and practice this powerful therapeutic approach. As we step into 2023, we embark on a journey to recognize and celebrate the trailblazers who have made significant contributions to the DBT community.
In this blog, we proudly present the "Top 10 DBT Influencers in 2023," shining a spotlight on individuals who have ultilized the power of various platforms to spread knowledge, encourage growth, and promote DBT. Divided into three categories—video, podcast, and social media contents—each influencer possesses a distinctive style and voice, captivating audiences all over the internet.
TOP 10 DBT INFLUENCERS OF 2023
1. Dr. Daniel Fox - Youtube (206K subscribers, 376 videos)
- Major content topic: Borderline Personality Disoder, Depression, Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) Relationship Playlists
- Location: United States
- Social media: Website, Twitter, Instagram
Dr. Daniel J. Fox is a licensed psychologist in Texas with over 20 years of experience specializing in the treatment and assessment of individuals with personality disorders. He is an international speaker, multiple-award winning author, and his specialty areas include personality disorders, ethics, burnout prevention, and emotional intelligence. He has published several articles in these areas and is the author of numerous books on personality disorders.
2. Kati Morton - Youtube (1.24M subscribers, 1.3K videos)
- Major content topic: Borderline Personality Disoder, Anxiety, Abuse, Bipolar Disorder Playlists
- Location: United States
- Social media: Podcast (also on Youtube), Website, Tiktok (143K followers), Twitter (45.2K followers)
Kati Morton is a licensed therapist, author and public speaker who is widely recognized for her YouTube channel focused on mental health. She covers a variety of topics related to mental health, provides practical advice on how to manage emotions, stress, and improve overall well-being. Kati has authored two best-selling books and emphasizes the importance of seeking help when needed. Through her work, Kati has become a leading voice in the mental health community, dedicated to helping people lead happier and healthier lives.
3. Molly and Liza - Therapists In The Wild Podcast (4.9 Stars, 119 Ratings, 37 episodes)
The podcast features two psychologists, Molly and Liza, who share their personal experiences of using DBT skills to improve their relationships. The episodes cover various DBT skills that promote mindfulness, emotional regulation, distress tolerance, and communication in relationships.
4. Charlie Swenson - A Podcast with Charlie Swenson - To Hell and Back (4.7 Stars, 123 Ratings, 110 episodes)
"To Hell and Back" is a podcast series that explores different types of hellish experiences people encounter in life, such as trauma, addiction, and mental health issues. The show presents and discusses tools for coping with these experiences and getting out of them, drawing from dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), other treatments, and personal life experiences.
5. Catherine Humenuk - Instagram (56.6K followers, 249 posts)
- Major content topic: Borderline, BPD, CPTSD, PTSD, Recovery, Self-harm, Trauma Blog
- Social media: Facebook, Twitter, Tiktok, Website
Catherine Humenuk is a licensed clinical social worker and therapist who specializes in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). She has over 8 years of experience in the field of mental health and has developed expertise in helping individuals manage difficult emotions, navigate relationships, and improve overall well-being. Catherine is also an experienced public speaker and has presented at numerous conferences and events on topics related to mental health and DBT. Through her popular Instagram account, Catherine provides valuable insights and tips on how to use DBT skills in everyday life.
6. Xannie (Personal Instagram) - Host of The BPD Bunch (14.8K followers, 153 posts)
- Major content topic: Talkshow, Borderline Personality Disorder, Recovery, Mental Health
- Location: United States
- Social media: Youtube (1.45K subscribers, 63 videos), Spotify
This is a weekly talk show called "The BPD Bunch" featuring a panel of 19 people who have recovered from Borderline Personality Disorder. They discuss various topics related to BPD and share their experiences to provide insights and hope to others on their recovery journeys.
7. Micaella Kelly - @bpdrelatable (182.5K followers), @bpdtips (14.4K followers)
- Major content topic: Borderline Personality Disorder, Mental Health, Peers Support
- Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada,
- Social media: Facebook (123K followers), Instagram (45.3K followers), Facebook Community Group (2.9K members)
Micaella Kelly is a mental health advocate who has personal experience with borderline personality disorder (BPD), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and complex post-traumatic stress disorder (CPTSD). She uses her platform to explain the reasons behind why people with these conditions may feel or react in certain ways, and encourage others to seek help and become more self-aware. She has three platforms: TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook.
8. Bianca - @putting_the_b_in_bpd (238K followers)
- Major content topic: Borderline Personality Disorder and Emotional Regulation.
Bianca is a certified DBT therapist with a special interest in BPD and emotional regulation. She uses her personal experience to help others manage their own mental health battles by presenting educational mental health tools in a relatable and welcoming way.
9. Kiki Fehling - @dbtkiki (39.8K followers)
- Major content topic: Borderline Personality Disorder skill, Autism
- Social media: TikTok (40K followers), LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook,
Kiki is a licensed psychologist who is an expert in various mental health areas such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), self-harm, trauma, and LGBTQ mental health. She has authored books in the field. She prefers pronouns they/she.
10. Nat Roberts - @sagesolitude (57.4K followers)
- Major content topic: borderline personality disorder, complex post traumatic stress disorder and anorexia nervosa
An 18-year-old with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Anorexia Nervosa, currently in an inpatient psychiatric hospital for 4 months. Studying psychology and hoping to become a clinical psychologist in the future. She shared her inspirational journey coping with BPD with thoughts, useful tips... on TikTok and build her own supportive community on these platform.